Sleep allows us to get up every day with the forces and energies to face another day where learn and spend big. And for the little ones this time is more important still: the dream has a very important role in the consolidation of memory and other cognitive activities, and is when increases the secretion of growth hormone. We must give then the importance that it deserves!
Children need different amount of hours of sleep depending on their age. The majority of preschool-age children need between 10 and 12 hours a day; at age nine, close to 10 hours, and upon reaching puberty, between eight and nine hours, although many sleep less.
Often children suffer alterations in sleep, which are mostly produced by bad bedtime habits. Usually this has consequences very negative, such as hyperactivity, irritability, difficulty controlling emotions, increase impulsiveness… takes note of these ideas! to enjoy a higher quality of sleep
7 tips to help kids sleep better
- Establishing a regular schedule: it is important every day to stay up and to rise to similar hours, which take a rest routine and your body gets used to it. The dream is routine, and stable times, love him although Saturday and Sunday can go to bed some time later.
- Sleeping is still a ritual: Converts the preparation to go to sleep in a pleasant ritual. You can include a hot bath, some of music to disconnect, put pajamas, preparing clothes for the next day, brushing your teeth. .
- Before you go to bed, just quiet activities: reading a story before bed is a good way of relaxing them and who then sleep more comfortable. Avoid activities that excite them and alter, such as video games or television, and take food and caffeine before going to sleep.
- The bedroom is for sleeping: we must create a quiet, almost in the dark, in order to reduce body temperature and to encourage the rest. Should avoid noises, use soothing colors, a comfortable bed… and there should be no electronic devices (consoles, computers…) to relax!
- Light dinner: dinner may not be heavy, but we must not go to bed hungry. Try to pass two hours since you SUP until they go to bed, but just before they can take a glass of warm milk or an infusion to promote relaxation of the body.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle: exercise of way regulate not only contributes to be fit and make us feel better, if not helping to relax and download tensions and, therefore will sleep much better. That Yes, you have to leave a good time between one thing and another: exercise, always at least one couple of hours before bedtime.
- Do not abuse the sleep: prevents prolonged NAPs (30 minutes is more than enough) and spend more time in bed than necessary. Once you have slept their hours, it is important to be lifted and enjoy the day. Above all do not see TV or study and do homework on it!
However, going to sleep is complicated when the child is afraid to darkness or staying alone at night. In these cases, we recommend that you try to address the issue of comprehensive and calm manner, and trying to find out the reasons of those fears to be able to face them together. There are also some resources designed especially for these cases, like this audiocuento or other children’s stories. Perhaps they can be very useful!